||"As far back as I can remember, I was always drawing or painting."
"I want each of my paintings to create the mood and intensity I felt
while painting them. The public reaction to my art shows that I am
doing just that."
"I spend a great deal of time observing and enjoying the diverse
islands in which I live. I love traveling to other areas in order to
study the landscape and wildlife, as well as focusing local
environments. I feel this is deeply important in expanding my
capabilities as an artist and a person."
Nancy Hogan Armour
was born in Bennington, Vermont, in 1955 and raised in California. She
has been painting since the age of thirteen. A self taught painter, she
supplemented her natural abilities by studying drawing at Laguna Beach
School Of Art and Design in Laguna Beach, California. A realist in the
medium of watercolor, her subject matter has varied throughout the
years. Extensive travel in the U.S., Canada, and the Caribbean is
reflected in her paintings and photography.
1981 she settled on Chincoteague Island and opened Island Gallery &
Gifts. The coastal environment in which she lives has greatly
stimulated her, as can be seen by the subject matter she has chosen to
For the past seventeen years,she
had divided her creative atmosphere between two islands.
Chincoteague Island and Vieques Island
off the coast
of Puerto Rico in the "Spanish Virgin Islands." Both islands are known
for their wild horses, which is one of Nancy's specializations in her
In May 2008, she moved to her
home on Vieques Island, to live year round.Her new art studio sits
only 300 feet to the ocean, with a large terrace and open windows
with natural light, and fresh ocean breeze.
Her art work is being represented in the same
location 6219 Maddox Blvd. Chincoteague Island, the new
store is called Enchanted Island. Her Posters can still be purchased
at Purple Pony , Main St. Chincoteague Island
- National Wildlife Federation
One Woman art show 1987
- Easton Waterfowl Festival
Exhibitor since 1985. Featured in their collector's catalog 1986
- 1988 Duck's Unlimited Artist
of the Year, Chincoteague Island Chapter.
- Featured in Charleston,
S.C., Wildlife Expo collector’s catalog 1989 Cover Artist of book
- Windy of Chincoteague
- June 1993 issue of Equine Images magazine featuring her
annual pony prints.
- 1994 "Remembrance of Stormy"
painting featured on a pre-paid phone card
- Nancy was the first artist
in Virginia with this proposal
- "Out of the Mist" featured in the National Zoo magazine June 1994 issue Friends of the National Zoo
- Featured artist in the documentary film Chincoteague, Virginia's Island Treasure, released in 1995 and seen around the world
- Featured in October 1998 Smith-Klein Gallery, Boulder, Colorado Wild about Horses show. Southwest art magazine and Equine images displayed Nancy's paintings in Oct 1998 issues.
NANCY HOGAN ARMOUR
HC2 BOX 10932
VIEQUES ISLAND, PUERTO RICO